A seat belt thwarted an attempted carjacking at 112th Street and Blue Mound Road on Friday morning.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The female driver was approaching a flashing yellow light when she saw a man step off the curb across the street just before 6 a.m. She stopped the car to let him cross safely, but she became nervous when he started walking to her door.
She tried to roll up the car window, but wasn't quick enough. He punched her in the cheek and demanded she get out of the car. He opened the door and pulled on her arm, but the seat belt prevented him from pulling her out of the vehicle.
A truck driver saw what was happening and approached the car carrying a baseball bat. The carjacker turned and ran off.
The woman drove to her workplace on Mayfair Road, where co-workers saw her swollen cheek and urged her to call police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New UWM chancellor is high on Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Mary Linsmeier School closes in Wauwatosa after 50 years
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Dec. 18
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Dec. 18
- Older adults mutually gain from tutoring Milwaukee Public School students
- Wauwatosa Public Library kicks off new writing program
- Wauwatosa's Kathy's House sees rising demand for hospital hospitality
- Wauwatosa's State Street Station project sent back to committee
- In Our Schools: Dec. 18, 2014
- Wauwatosa West football field considered for $1.5 million artificial turf upgrade