A seat belt thwarted an attempted carjacking at 112th Street and Blue Mound Road on Friday morning.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The female driver was approaching a flashing yellow light when she saw a man step off the curb across the street just before 6 a.m. She stopped the car to let him cross safely, but she became nervous when he started walking to her door.
She tried to roll up the car window, but wasn't quick enough. He punched her in the cheek and demanded she get out of the car. He opened the door and pulled on her arm, but the seat belt prevented him from pulling her out of the vehicle.
A truck driver saw what was happening and approached the car carrying a baseball bat. The carjacker turned and ran off.
The woman drove to her workplace on Mayfair Road, where co-workers saw her swollen cheek and urged her to call police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- On The Move: September 4
- Athleta coming to Mayfair
- In Brief: Three aquatic parks, including Hoyt Pool, to stay open through Monday
- 88-year-old passenger dies after three-car crash in Tosa
- Police say train accident was 'apparent suicide' by Oak Creek man
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students
- New school year for the Wauwatosa School District brings new standards, evaluations and projects