Two men have been arrested for robbing a Wauwatosa credit union last week.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Landmark Credit Union, 3600 N. 124th St., was robbed at 11:43 a.m. Monday. A man passed a note to a teller and demanded money. He reached into his pocket, so the teller feared he might have been armed.
The teller kept handing over money until the robber said he had enough. The man ran out the door to a waiting vehicle.
The getaway vehicle was spotted at an Economy Inn in Milwaukee on Wednesday. Officers obtained a search warrant, and found crack pipes and pills in a hotel room that was used by the men.
A 39-year-old Milwaukee man accused of serving as the driver was arrested at a nearby fast-food restaurant. The 45-year-old man who allegedly held up the credit union was stopped while walking at 72nd Street and Capitol Drive. He had more than $3,400 in cash and a crack pipe in his pockets.
The younger man told police he met his partner in crime just three days before the robbery, when they smoked crack together at a mutual friend's home. In a short time, the drugs and money had run out.
The older man said he knew where the duo could find more money. They drove to a Baker's Square in Shorewood, where he stole money and a pie. The empty pie box was found in the men's hotel room.
The men bought more drugs and again went on a binge. Afterward, they hit up a Walgreens on Good Hope Road for more money.
After a third session of doing drugs, they looked for places to rob in Milwaukee and Brookfield. The decided on the Tosa credit union because one of them used to be a member there.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Chinese Lunar New Year celebration at Mayfair Sunday
- Police to warn against impaired driving on St. Patrick's Day
- Fundraiser covers funeral expenses for victim of Wauwatosa house fire
- News & Notes: March 5, 2015
- Wauwatosa Common Council approves rezoning for Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure
- In Our Schools: March 5
- Local developer sees opportunity for rebuild of Wauwatosa library, city hall
- Big talk on drugs has macro and micro perspectives at Wauwatosa East
- Wauwatosa library first in state to offer Hoopla video and music streaming
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?