Members of the Wauwatosa Police Department's Community Support Division, with backup provided by the folks at WauwatosaNow.com, are now blogging. We will be providing you with an ongoing series of crime prevention tips, any current crime trends as well as pertinent news and notes as it relates to your Police Department.
Here is a short list of things to consider when safeguarding your personal information:
· When disposing of documents containing the personal information of anyone in your household, shred them. This includes pre-approved credit card and loan offers received in the mail.
· Consider deleting much of the pre-printed information on your personal checks like your driver’s license, social security number and telephone number.
· Ask your Doctor, Dentist, Auto Mechanic, Grocery Store and anyone else who requires your personal information how they safeguard it. You can always refuse to provide it.
· Change your computer, internet and banking passwords on a regular basis. Never write your password(s) down, use different passwords for different accounts / functions.
· Never leave your personal information lying around the house, have a safe/secure spot to keep it in a spot normally off limits to visitors and service providers.
· Never provide your Social Security Number, account numbers, PIN’s driver’s license numbers or any other personal information over the telephone.
· Don’t allow your debit or credit card to leave your sight when making purchases or paying other bills.
· When shopping online make sure the online store uses a secure server.
· Remember Wisconsinites are entitled to receive free credit reports from the three major reporting agencies. You can visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228 for more information.